Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum  

Go Back   Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum > GLBBQA Info > GLBBQA Elections -2015

GLBBQA Elections -2015 This is a forum for the Candidates of the GLBBQA BOD to post their platform and answer questions from our members. Formerly KCBS Elections Forum.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM

rlwestbrook is on a distinguished road
Default Bob "Bear" Westbrook BOD Candidate

Greetings to all, election time is coming so I thought I should post a little about myself and why you might want to vote for me

First, thanks to the present board for keeping things going, not an easy job.

Second, thanks to the other candidates for being willing to step up and pay something back to GLBBQA, some good choices.

So why me and not one of the other candidates?

Let us get the ugly part out of the way up front. I am a judge and not a comp. cooker. My wife Joan and I are closing in on our Master Judge qualification. I have judged contests in MI, OH, IN, IL and KY. We intend on judging contests in WI and MN in the next couple of years. I have always tried to make my job as a judge harder by working with the teams to give feedback and answer questions about the judging process. I love it when the winning teams are separated by fractions of points, excellence in BBQ is the goal for all of us. I take great pride in the achievements of the GLBBQA teams.

One of the things I would like to see is a way to ride the wave of popularity of BBQ by involving people who are not competitors or judges in GLBBQA. Maybe taking a page out of the Memphis in May playbook and have budding cooks and bbq wannabees pay to be part of a team for a day. Of course they would have to be GLBBQA members. Just an unfinished idea.

My bbq cooking as many of you know is reserved to doing fundraising for a soup kitchen in Detroit where we feed between 800-1000 hungry on a Sunday. So community outreach and giving back to others is dear to my heart as I know as it is to many of you. This is an area I would be interesting in working further in as BOD member.

Not to belabor, I guess I would call myself a diversity candidate. Looking to add something a little different to the BOD and giving back to a group that I feel I have gained a lot from. Good luck to all the other candidates and I promise not to take it out on your scores if you don't vote for me. LOL

Member GLBBQA

Member KCBS and Certified Master Judge #58638

Backwoods Fatboy Smoker

New Braunfels Offset Smoker

Brinkman Water Smoker

"Spruce Green" Thermapen