Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum  

Go Back   Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum > Main Area > Q-Chat

Q-Chat Please share your latest Q adventures and stories here.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM

Capt Dan is on a distinguished road
Default Official "Fishing 4 BBQ III" sign-up thread

Fishing 4 BBQ III, Official sign-up thread.

OK folks, here it is. Time to get the reservations, days off work, and OK's from the boss ( wives included).

FISHING 4 BBQ III
April 27-29
Blossomland FOP 100.

Directions to the lodge.

Here is a link to their website and map

http://www.fop100.org/location.html

Heres the directions and the map.

Driving Directions:
From St. Joe/Benton Harbor
Take M-139 South, under I-94 and
into the S-Curve. Diller Rd. is
located on the east (left) side
prior to the Somerlayton Bridge
(over the river).
From Kalamazoo - Take I-94 to
Exit 28. At the light take a Right
onto M-139 . Under I-94 and into
the S-Curve. Diller Rd. is located
on the east (left) side prior to the
Somerlayton Bridge (over the
river).
From Niles - North on 31/M139,
over the Somerlayton Bridge.
Diller Rd is on the East (right)
side. (if you hit I-94 you went to
far.)

It looks like we charged $20 per person last year, and I think we can stay with that number this year too. I believe for additional family members it was $10 per adult and $5 for kids under 16.

I think we can also continue with the $5 big fish pot. That was allot of fun last year, and Justin J was the big winner with his King Salmon.

This year we will have a wing cooking competition for anyone who wants to share their talents. We will have a judged entry, and a peoples choice just like last year. Who will be the 2012 Wing King?

I am working on case prices for the wings, but I think $25 per team entry should do it. I think the wings are gonna cost $10-$12 per team, and we want to be able to pay a couple spots for the judged entries as well as the peoples choice entries.

What do you all think about these ideas?I just spent a few minutes reading last years thread. I guess I forgot how much work that was. I did NOT forget how much fun it was. If anyone needs a reminder, or wants to see what this event is about, just check out this link.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=378147

Later today I will post links to area hotels. If anyone else has the links and recommendations, please chime in and list them.

The schedule is pretty flexible, but a few things we need to be on time with.

Friday April 27th.............arrivals can begin any time after 1 pm. I would love to have some folks come early and help with the set up. Its arbor day, so it seems perfect to be outdoors with friends and family. The wing cooks will get their chicken wings to keep and do what they want with.

I will try to have wristbands again. I like the idea, and it shows our support for Cancer research and the fight against this terrible disease.

Any Captains that want to fish friday afternoon , feel free to find some crews and go. We will be cooking something for the friday evening meal.

Saturday April 28th.........Captains and crews will head out early for the day's fishing, some of us will stay behind and watch over the lodge and campsites.We will also be cooking some things that take a half a day to cook like briskets and pork butts and many other things. When crews return from fishing, we will check in fish for the contest, and the wing cooks can do their thing. The fish can be checked in until 4 pm.

The wing contest will begin anytime the cook's want, but they must be ready for judging and turned in between 5:00 and 5:10 pm .Each cook will place at least 6 wings in a styro box for the blind judging. They will then also place their "peoples choice" wings in a foil half pan with a number and lid for the non judges. There will be separate trophies for each category.

The main food meal will be planned for 6 pm. This is our annual feast of many different recipes and foods.Everyone is welcomed to bring their favorite combinations to share with our group. I encourage our angler group to whip up some sides and appetizers, while our BBQ brothers and sisters will make up the main meats .

After the meal, we will hold our raffles. I plan to have a 50/50 type raffle, some tackle, and some BBQ items for the raffle also. It is my hope that we can get some donations, and not spend money on prizes. We will see how this goes. We all have some very generous friends, and I think we can come up with a wonderful raffle, just like in the past.

Sunday..........The plan is to have a group of volunteers get together for breakfast,and then work together to clean-up the property, help folks pack up, and leave the lodge spotless by noon. There will be some groups who return for more fishing also. That is fine, just remember that the lodge itself will be cleaned and locked, so if you do go fishing, take care of anything inside the lodge before you leave that morning.

This event was originally planned as a "give back" type of thing to all my friends who participated in the wonderful " Spanky Roast" a few years back. It has grown into a wonderful event of its own, and we have even managed to collect a nice donation to the West Michigan Cancer Center in Kalamazoo. This years goal is to reconfirm our friendships of past events, and to continue to support the WMCC. Last year we donated over $1000 to the great cause, and they were very appreciative. I hope we can do that again this year.

This thread will be the sign-up portion of the event. I need to know who is coming, who is cooking, who is going to want to fish on a boat, and who is bringing a boat, and how many folks are needed for crews.
As the thread continues we will figure out food lists and things for people to do to help.

I have no doubt that we will make this another great event, and if God is willing, we will all leave with renewed faith in our fellow man, a smile on our faces, and memories to last a lifetime.

Thanks for all the support in the past, I sincerely hope to see the folks from the previous years, and of course welcome the newbies.

Sign em up!

The voices in my head are
medicated (legally)

Lang 60 w/warmer
Bubba-Built UDS
Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Just a bump and sign-up list

From here we have, Crewdog, Richtee, Smokin Tim, Smokie Okie, Phil W, maybe smokie Lee and Bubba. Anyone else?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

Derek is on a distinguished road

Great Cause and I wish you good luck Dan.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 AM

Joneser is on a distinguished road

I'm in from here too! Great event, I wouldn't miss it!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Sorry Brian, I forgot you and Jason.

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM

OK, an update.

Looks like we have a total of about 30-35 committed to attend so far.Its still almost 2 weeks away, I expect the total to climb another 12-15 people. That is perfect!

as far as captains we have 8 captains looking to take out 15-18 people. So far we have 10 people needing rides. We need more anglers! I don't want to send boats home or have lots of food left over either. So far it looks like 4 wing teams only. If we don't get more wing cooks, then we will combine the judged contest with the peoples choice and have just one category.

We will have entertainment provided by Jon Knox on saturday afternoon and evening. He is also donating an acoustic guitar for the raffle..

here is the list of captains,

Ed B
Tim Stein
D. Dan
Jeremy K
Martin
Tom
Mark C
Coralee

for anglers we have

Justin J
Dave B
Larry RCH
Phil W
Sass
Crewdog
Okie
Jonser
Jonser Jr.
Chargrilled

for wing cooks I have

Travis
Mark C
Phil W
Jonser

Let me know on this thread or by PM if I have forgot your name, or put it where it does NOT belong. By this time next week, I want to have a list of wing cooks, who's fishing with who, and who is bringing, or cooking what to be cooked.

I fished the past 2 saturdays, and the fishing is great right now. Mostly 5-10 lb kings with an occassional 12-16 lber. A few steelhead and some cohos and lakers, but 90% of the fish are strong, active and fighting kings.

We fished a smaller tourney on Saturday and caught 25 fish in about 4 hrs between the 4 of us.

I will try and update as the developments happen.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Lee, Richtee, Bubba....................anyone else want to come and play with me and the fishies? Gonna be mad that you missed it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM

bbqbull is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bbqbull

Still trying to figure out schedules here Dan. I would love to attend this great event.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Still trying to figure out schedules here Dan. I would love to attend this great event.
That would be great if you could make it. Bring a buddy or one of your cooking team mates, or grandson.Bring a couple if you want. I can get more boats!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

SmokinLee is on a distinguished road

I told a couple buds about it and still undecided. Its just so darn busy around here. And then with Eagle the week after. We'll see..buddy.