Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum  

Go Back   Great Lakes BBQ Association Forum > BBQ BIZ > Bottling Sauces

Bottling Sauces Please share your advice on Bottling your own BBQ Sauce.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Hannibal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
While I agree that you did well as far as I know---

these "no one has died yet" statements must be stricken from any and all cooking/curing/preserving posts.

It's the wrong way to look at it people, and does no service to the science of food preservation.
I understand where you are coming from, and you are correct in that this is a serious matter of concern. However, my statement was simply made in a light-hearted context as indicated by the little green man smiling at the end of it.

To be a little more serious and more concise, I followed the guidelines that were in a "Ball" book of canning recipes for a sauce that had similar ingredients and was proven safe. To add to that, I asked questions of, and then followed the advice of, people who have done canning of various sauces before. I am also lucky enough to work in a place where I have access to people that are a lot smarter than I am and have the knowhow, experience, and the equipment to test foods for safety. Turns out that my sauce recipe is acidic enough to be safely canned using the same hot water bath method as described in the “Ball” book, per my friendly peeps at the FDA.

I suppose that is why no one died.

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, MES30

Last edited by Hannibal; 09-13-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: to add little green smiling men