Beak to Beak 2015
THESE ARE THE OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE 2015 BEAK-2-BEAK COMPETITION.
You must have a paid entry in to the Marshall County Blazin’ BBQ & Bluegrass in Plymouth, IN. in order to participate in the Beak-2-Beak Invitational.
• Contest meat must be inspected by a GLBBQA appointed inspector before any preparation may begin onsite. You may trim before arriving but nothing else. Meat inspections will be done by a Beak to Beak Committee Member on Friday after 9am. Regular KCBS rules apply.
• Event is by invitation only; there will be no passing down of entries. You must have won the chicken category at one of the qualifying Beak 2 Beak Events in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, or Ohio between April 1, 2015 and September 13, 2015 or until the 2015 Marshall County BBQ Contest is full; whichever comes first. OR be a winner of one of the qualifying events that occurred in 2014 after the cut off date of August 8, 2014. That list will be posted. The 2014 Beak 2 Beak Champion will also qualify for an entry into the 2015 contest.
A winner of a qualifying event AFTER August 8, 2014 will carry over to the 2015 Beak 2 Beak contest.
• If your team qualifies, the Head Cook that was registered at your qualifying event must be in attendance at the Beak-2-Beak Invitational. If he/she is not in attendance, your team will be disqualified.
• The same meat storage/handling rules apply, that are in place at any other sanctioning body (e.g. KCBS).
• Gas is strictly prohibited and fires must be of wood, coal, or pellet.
• Turn in will be at 6:00pm, Friday September 18, 2015, at the Marshall County Blazin BBQ Contest at a location to be announced at the cooks meeting.
• The minimum of 8 individual pieces of white and dark meat chicken will be responsible for counting as a legal entry turn in.
• Turn in containers will be standard size half pans with numbered fitted lids to be provided at the event.
• Garnish is forbidden as is marking or puddles of the sauce.
• Judging will be done by Certified BBQ Judges with preference given to individuals that have judged more competitions regardless of sanctioning body.
• Judging will be done with the scoring system of 1 to 10
Entries will be scored in the following categories and multiplies:
* Appearance .5
* Taste 2
* Tenderness 1
• High and low scoring judges scores will be thrown out and the remaining scores will be totaled to determine places.
• Ties to be broken using “Taste” points, if still tied then “Tenderness”, if needed “Appearance,” and if a tie remains, the highest chicken score at the last cooked qualifying event for each team will be used to break the tie.
The prize pool will include a championship belt/trophy. Additional prizes and distribution, will be listed as they come on line. A complete prize list will be published as soon as possible.
Congratulations again on your first place chicken in one or more contests this year. We are very excited to see such a competitive field for the 2014 Beak to Beak Invitational.
In addition to the rules and grand prize documents, below is some additional information. Any changes will be brought up at your cooks meeting.
Invitational will be held on Friday September 18, 2015 in Plymouth, IN Marshall County Blazin BBQ and Bluegrass - www.visitmarshallcounty.org
All Cooks for this invitational must attend the 2pm MANDATORY cooks meeting at a location to be announced at a later date.
Turn in location to be announced at the mandatory cooks meeting.
- Events are coming soon, stay tuned!